MEDITE is one of Europe’s most recognised brands of MDF. First introduced in 1976, we were pioneers in introducing MDF to European markets. This has allowed MEDITE products to now be recognised as the benchmark for quality, consistency and performance throughout the MDF market.
From our production and research plant in Clonmel, Ireland, we supply a wide range of MDF products to meet the diverse needs of users, specifiers and designers across Europe and beyond. Our extensive range includes ten different families of MDF products and many variants, with over 400 possible specifications from a production capacity of some 410,000 m3.
Through consistent commitment to research, development and ongoing investment in technology, we have established MEDITE as the leading brand in the MDF market by introducing a wide variety of quality products and customer led innovations. Today, the extensive MEDITE range includes MEDITE PREMIER, MEDITE TRICOYA EXTREME, MEDITE TRADE, MEDITE MR, MEDITE FR, MEDITE EXTERIOR, MEDITE ECOLOGIQUE and MEDITE VENT.
Our technological innovations have led the greater market to advances in areas such as finish quality, moisture resistance, flame retardancy and many more MDF attributes. Our programme of innovation is continuous, with MEDITE TRICOYA EXTREME being described by TRADA’s Technical Manager, Dr Andy Pitman, as “absolutely unique”, the Building Research Establishment (BRE) to proclaim it “the first major innovation in the wood composites industry in 30 years” and acknowledged TV construction expert Kevin McCloud to state that it would “take the construction industry by storm”.
By many, formaldehyde has been deemed an unhealthy feature of composite boards. Europe had led the way on formaldehyde reduction with E1 and E2 standards, but customers demanded more. This demand resulted in the imposition of stricter standards on the MDF and chipboard producers in the form of CARB2.
CARB 2 is a certification process instituted by the Californian Air Resources Board (CARB) to reduce formaldehyde emissions and protect the public form airbourne toxic contaminants. This is the reason CARB have become known as the ‘clean air agency’. This stringent legislation is emerging as the standard in the marketplace, to which all credible manufacturers should comply.
MEDITE has long been at the forefront of ‘low formaldehyde' innovation in Europe.
Following a €15 million investment in new technology and equipment to improve MDF production facilities and refiner capabilities at our plant in Clonmel, Ireland, as well as meeting the E1 European standard, from January 2010 all Medite products have been tested and approved as being fully CARB2 compliant. They also carry the relevant identification associated with this rigorous standard. As a result of our on-going commitment to produce products which comply with a range of international standards, we are continuing in our objective to make the sustainable and responsible choice easier for our customers.
MEDITE is a pioneer of low formaldehyde emission panels. This experience and focus has led to the development of products such as ‘MEDITE ECOLOGIQUE', a specialist zero-added formaldehyde product which, since its introduction, has been widely specified for environmentally sensitive interior applications such as museums, laboratories, art galleries and schools.
- 1966 MDF first made in the USA, as the result of a technical accident.
- 1974 American production of MEDITE MDF starts in Medford, Oregon.
- 1976 MEDITE MDF first imported into Europe with small orders from a handful of companies in the UK and the Netherlands.
- 1980 At the beginning of the 1980s, with the assistance of the Irish Industrial Development Authority, plans are made for the construction of a manufacturing facility for MDF in Clonmel, County Tipperary, Ireland. Irish managed forests are a rich source of thinnings of Sitka Spruce and Lodgepole Pine, perfect raw material for manufacturing the highest quality MDF.
- 1982 First MEDITE European Sales Office opens in Linne, The Netherlands.
- 1983 September First European production of MEDITE from Clonmel.
- 1984 MEDITE HD, high density MDF, launched.
- 1986 MEDITE opens its European Sales and Marketing Office in Southend, England.
- 1987 MEDITE 313 launched.
- 1989 MEDITE EXTERIOR, the world’s first EXTERIOR MDF, launched.
- 1989 Production rapidly grows, with MEDITE gaining new markets in France, Belgium, Germany, Italy and other European countries.
- 1990 MEDITE becomes the first MDF to be awarded a Kitemark (BSI).
- 1991 MEDITE FR, FLAME-RETARDANT MDF, is launched.
- 1992 1,000,000 m3 of Clonmel-produced MEDITE is sold in Europe.
- 1993 Start-up of MEDITE continuous thin MDF press in Clonmel increasing capacity to 300,000 m3
- 1998 MEDITE Exterior approved for use in D4 Category, BS4965.
- 2000 MEDITE used in London’s Millennium Dome.
- 2003 Second continuous press installed in Clonmel, increasing its capacity to 400,000 m3
- 2005 MEDITE re-specifies its entire range to meet the changing demands of designers, specifiers and end-users for the 21st Century.
- 2006 Over 5,000,000 m3 of MEDITE MDF sold in Europe.
- 2006 MEDITE Europe is acquired by Coillte, the leading Irish-based forest estates and forest products company.
- 2012 MEDITE used in London Olympic Park.
- 2014 Eight millionth m3 sold.
- 2015 MEDITE VENT, first breathable external sheathing panel, launched.
- 2016 All time annual record MDF sales of 418,000m3